4/16/2011

Alessi's Ark: US Tour

British folk-popstress Alessi’s Ark released the second in a series of singles on Bella Union records. This time, it’s a cover of 60s teen pop icon Lesley Gore’s “Maybe I Know.” Made famous by her still nearly ubiquitous hit “It’s My Party,” which she recorded at the age of 16, and others like the early feminist anthem “You Don’t Own Me.” Alessi feels a special kinship with Gore as a result of herself also being thrust into the spotlight in her teen years; she signed on the dotted line with Virgin Records UK when she was just 17.
“Last summer, I heard 'maybe I know' for the first time after my good friend Jake (Bellows) dreamt I performed it at a school party. He sent a YouTube link to Lesley Gore performing the song and it got stuck in my heart and brain immediately.”
Check out Alessi’s version of Gore’s song via her new video for the song.


Amid the record craziness at this year’s SXSW festival, Alessi played a quiet and comfortable set in an Austin hotel covered and photographed by the New York Times. Remarks Alessi in their story, “They handed me a piece of chocolate and asked if I had any more shows, and I said no,” Ms. Laurent-Marke said. “Then they said they were having this salmon breakfast, and asked if I’d play. I said yes, of course. I love salmon.”
“Maybe I Know can be purchased on iTunes and on Amazon mp3.
Alessi will be playing select dates in the U.S. in June, with more to be announced soon…
June 7 Club Passim Cambridge, MA
June 9 Joe’s Pub NYC (supporting John Grant)
June 11 Bella Café Washington, DC
June 14 Casbah Durham, NC
“The understated arrangements suggest you’re listening to a woman with impeccable taste, while her exquisitely resigned version of Lesley Gore’s ‘Maybe I Know’ confirms it.” – MOJO
“A bewitching stage presence and an angelic vocal make Alessi’s Ark very easy to love…this will leave you utterly spellbound” – Clash Music

0 comments:

AddToAny